Wednesday 18 August 2010

Slideshare; thing 11 - part 2

Hmm, now I've got my Powerpoint thing up, what do I think? Quite nice, though navigating the site isn't terribly intuitive. I also couldn't see how I could stop Slideshare from advertising similar presentations. It's quite nice, in some way, that it does, but I think it would be helpful to be able to turn that feature off.

Someone's bound to ask why? OK, let's say I advertise some particular process I would liek my users to carry out, but, I'd rather they didn't carry out some similar process. I can't stop them finding out about that second process, but I can at least not point them to it (and therefore avoid any responsibility). I can't think of a practical example right this minute though.

It's also worth pointing out that there are alternative ways of doing this. I've just taken the same presentation and turned it into html in one easy process. It's not very pretty, and does involve ActiveX it seems, but it did work. An alternative approach might be to download and install 'Cute PDF writer' which appears to your PC to be a printer, but produces PDFs. This can turn your Powerpoint presentation into a PDf which you could then put on a website.

P.S. The navigability issues seem to be a bit better once you've logged out and back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment