Monday 23 August 2010

LibraryThing; things 14 & 15

I had to think about a use for this, given that I'm not keen on shelling out actual money, so I decided to create a small catalogue of items in the UL I'm interested in.

What do I think? So far, so good. I've added two items, and one of these is a rather obscure history of the 144th Regiment, Royal Armoured Corps, later the 4th Royal Tank Regiment. It will be interesting to see if I can export this list in some useful format. A quick look at the help pages and indeed it does offer an export function, and into CSV. This means it could go into Excel and from there into Access if I so desired. I could even create a catalogue of my books at home by importing 200 items, exporting them to CSV, deleting them and then importing another 200, and so on.

I've sorted the collections part, though this instruction:

To move books into the collection, click on the folder icon and select the relevant collection.

seemed a little abstruse. Perhaps "click on the folder icon on the right" might have been a little clearer. All that being said, it's rather nice. Pity about the 200 book limit (but that'll be the Scot in me coming out). One thing I didn't like was the widget, which has looks rather ugly in my blog. I've moved it a little, but the colours are still a bit odd. No doubt there are ways of altering these, but I shouldn't have to have an in-depth knowledge of html to change this.

No comments:

Post a Comment