Tuesday 20 July 2010

What I like about computers

Just in case I'm giving the impression that I'm a dyed in the wool here are some things I like about computers:
  • Email. One of the best inventions ever, and that's despite spam. The idea that I can send a message to someone else in the world and I won't have to worry about whether they're around at the time or whether they can read my handwriting is brilliant.
  • Graphical user interfaces. I think I must have developed the need for a GUI before I actually got hold of one, when I was using DOS and WordPerfect and worked out that there was a "trap door" in the latter that took you back to DOS, from where you could run Kermit to check your email. You don't know what Kermit is? Look it up on Wikipedia - which leads me to ...
  • Wikipedia. Yes it's got inaccuracies, but it's still a vastly better than the alternatives.
  • Command line interfaces. It might seem a little odd citing this as well as the GUI, but there's a lot to be said for a command line interface. It's a lot easier to write down odd commands you don't use very often, rather than trying to remember being shown what's essentially a load of hand movements.
  • Free software. I'm half Scottish, so the attraction should be obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment